Thursday, February 17, 2011

How To Build A Baby Shower In A Box

Sitting in the doctor’s office waiting for what felt like an eternity, I glanced through parenting magazines passing the time.  As I sat there with a room full of strangers, I couldn’t help but imagine what life was going to be like with our new little one.  We had tried to be pregnant for three years. The time had come and I was at my final appointment, when another young mom to be caught my eye. We started a conversation about pregnancy and due dates.  Once I talked with her it became clear our lives were very different.  I had just had a baby shower that was large and we received more than I could even use.  I learned she did not have family support and there was no dad involved. She hadn't been blessed by a shower of gifts from friends and family. We both were having boys. What could I do for this girl I had just met?
I left that day knowing I had to do something for her.  I only had a few days left before our own blessed event. I wanted to focus on my own needs,  but how could I let her be alone?  I decided to give her a baby shower in a box! I had read about it once and thought I could add my own special touch to it.
Here is what I did:
I found a huge box:  I wrapped it in baby paper and left the top open
Inside I made a large diaper cake.  This was one of my most favorite gifts I had received.  A diaper cake is not only cute, it is fun.  If you don’t think you can make a diaper cake order one online. You won’t regret it.
  • A Diaper Cake
  • A magazine about parenting
  • A pacifier
  • Baby Booties
  • Add slippers.  Every new mom needs slippers
  • Make sure to include a swaddling blanket for the new baby
  • Include the essentials:  Baby shampoo, baby lotion, and baby diaper rash ointment
  • Baby wash cloths are often forgotten and can serve both at bath time and as a great spit-up rag
  • A gift certificate to a local coffee house is always a special treat

To Read More. Check out this page on Baby Shower Gift Ideas

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great ideas! I attend so many baby showers in a year that it makes it hard to change things up for each shower every time. Our large group of friends usually all attend each others showers so it can be a challenge to make them each different from the last so thanks for the great ideas.

    ReplyDelete